i want you to want it

by rebecca on March 8, 2012

Post image for i want you to want it

When we were on the phone you said, “I always have trouble when it comes to what I want.” That is familiar. I feel it. I hear it again and again.

Today I  want to cheer you on.

It’s TIME.

It’s time to let yourself want.

It’s time to know what flavor you prefer and ask for it upfront.

It’s time to choose the restaurant, the movie, the hiking spot, the music in the car, the station on TV.

It’s time for you to wear the clothes that feel just right against your skin.

It’s time for you to stand up for yourself when others are saying you belong seated.

It’s time for you to own your dreams and believe in yourself. No more delay is allowed. Pleasing others must now take a back seat to pleasing yourself because, in the end, what the world needs most is your happiness. We are starved for that laughter that bubbles up deep inside you and cannot be faked.

I know you’re frightened because someone will think you’re woowoo, full of yourself or simply wacko.

But I want to see the inside of you.

I want to see what you bring to the Table of Life.

I want your offering of horses and mandalas and days sitting on your porch to come flying at me on a zip line out of the sky.

I want to meet the giant elephants and feel my heart soften because they slow me down. I want to know what it is to speak the same language as my dog.

Then I want you to show me how to dye my skin a new color and twirl until I am the rainbow I imagine.

I want to meet you in the hardware store where I am full of dismay, confused and undone and I want you to put me back together with your laughter.

I want the wide net that you knit to include me as you create your community. I want you to teach me so I feel stronger. I learn from you. I belong more completely because you are in the world.

Out of a pool of holy water you are meant to bathe the earth and set our feet upon the high terra firma so we can leap and fly into our great unknowns. You give us our beginning.

I want you to find a room of your own, a corner of solitude, a space in time that is yours alone. In that carved out spot I want you to grow, and live and have your being.

For when you do that...when you become…I become as well.

Please allow yourself to WANT.

The Earth is waiting for the Beauty that only you can Imagine.

Do you ever struggle to know what you want?  Are you more likely to make an altared space out of an animal or a paintbrush?  Where would your zip line begin, and where would it go?

My class, Altar Your LIfe: A Soulful Cleanse, just wrapped up. We had a great time, and, because there was a waiting list to get in, I’m offering it again. I hope you’ll be able to join us. I met some wonderful people. It made me love blogging even more. If you want to see the next class I’ll be offering, it’s coming up soon as well: Altar Your Life: The Stories We Tell.

SuziCate March 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I hope you know how much I love this post! I is most beautifully written and heartfelt. So many wonderful lines and thoughts in here I can’t even pick a favorite.

rebecca March 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm

So glad I could bring some joy into your world today.

Privilege of Parenting March 9, 2012 at 1:00 am

Very encouraging—I’ll honor you by doing my level best to live up to it in as silly of a manner as I can conjure.

rebecca March 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Um….what is it that you’re wanting, Bruce?

Stacia March 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I never know what I want. And when I think I know, I wonder if it will really make me happy. Happier. Or if it will just lead to more wants. And the “inside of me”? Honestly, I’m not sure what’s there most days!

rebecca March 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Hey! I was just at your place! This is wonderful! Like we got to meet in a little snowbank in the sky and swap stories. Thanks for writing….and looking for wants.

rachel April 2, 2012 at 2:33 am

Can I just say this back to you? Because this is true for me:

“I learn from you. I belong more completely because you are in the world.”

XO

6512 and growing April 3, 2012 at 1:36 am

I like this so much, Rebecca. There is something I want passionately, but I want the final outcome, the finished product. When I think about what it takes to get there, I just want to go to bed.
ps: thanks for the e-mail today. I’m bummed that commenting on my site is prohibitive to some people.

rebecca April 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Rachel,

I’m leaning in. You can whisper if you want. My ears are burning I so want to know…

I find it amazing how many people I talk to feel this way. They want something sooooo bad but they just can’t say it out loud and when they think about the actual doing…exhaustion. That’s why I really like working in teams of people. I get to hear how many others are yearning, really yearning for a bigger life.

Then we all holds hands and jump in together. Jump into the mess of taking itty bitty baby steps of doing and failing massively and encouraging each other and telling our stories and laughing about how it doesn’t hurt as bad as I thought it would and crying together about how this REALLY does suck and I’m still gonna do it anyway because I don’t know how to have another dream.

Yes. I know. I want too.

So glad to know I’m not alone.

and about that commenting thing? I think I’m just such a techno dork and impatient about trying to figure it out. I’m trying. You can feel me continuing to reach out.